Paekakariki has a long association with railways. The Wellington and Manawatu Railway Company built the first engine shed on our site in 1886 to serve the need to change locomotives required for the Paekakariki Hill and grades south into Wellington.
After electrification came to the Wellington region in 1940, the changeover from steam to electric traction took place at Paekakariki, continuing the need for a locomotive depot. For many years, it was the northern limit of Wellington suburban services and is still a stabling point for suburban electric units.
The main engine shed was demolished after the depot closed in the late 1960s, but some other buildings and facilities remained. Steam Incorporated first took over the site in 1972, leasing it from the then New Zealand Government Railways.
Today it is owned by the society and is far more than just a shed! Situated between the North Island Main Trunk railway line to the west, and State Highway 1 to the east it comprises a number of sidings, a turntable, a large freight shed used by US Marines during WW2, our amenities block, the main workshop and running shed where we carry out most of our locomotive restoration and maintenance, and a recently constructed large carriage storage shed. In all there is over a kilometre of track within the site.
Future plans include a specialist carriage workshop to aid the restoration of our vintage carriage collection. Current major restoration projects include the second restoration of steam loco Ka945 and diesel loco Da1471.
Our fleet - Since the 1970’s Steam Incorporated has saved a large collection of locomotives and passenger carriages. Many are currently certified for main line running, some are undergoing restoration while the remainder wait their turn for restoration.